Use one of the tutorials on the Landscapes of Digital Art website to learn about a platform and turn a digital project idea into reality! Consider what different digital platforms add to experiencing visual art.
These will vary based on your selected project, but could include:
- A computer, tablet, or phone
- A camera or video camera
- A microphone
- A downloaded software platform
- This lesson is going to help you compare and choose one of the following platforms for your own art project:
|Platform||Description||Link to Download||Our Tutorial Video||Unity||A cross-platform game engine that can be used to create 3D or 2D scenes. Free version available for students and personal use.||Click Here||Click Here for tutorial on building virtual landscapes.||Adobe After Effects||An animation/motion graphics platform. There is a cost for this software.||Click Here||Click Here for an animation tutorial.||Lens Studio||A free program for creating Augmented Reality filters for Snapchat.||Click Here||Click Here for tutorial on Augmented Reality Makeup.||OBS Studio||Free and open-source software for video recording and livestreaming.||Click Here||Click Here for a tutorial on using this software to share artwork.|
2. Start with an idea of what you would like to create. Think about a story you want to tell, an effect you want to create, or a message you want to send with your artwork. If it helps you to plan, write these ideas down.
3. For each of the platforms listed above, consider the following questions. Again, you may choose to write your answers down.
- How will someone take in or interact with my artwork on this platform?
- What is the “time frame” of this platform? Is it something the audience comes to whenever they want, or is it something experienced in a specific moment?
- What type of audience usually uses this platform?
- Are there any accessibility limitations for yourself or your audience using this platform?
- Are there any special connections between using this platform and the message I want to send my audience?
- How long will this platform be around for? Is there a way to “back up” my artwork if this platform were to be discontinued?
4. Having thought about the pros and cons of each platform, pick one that you would like to learn more about and create an artwork with. You may even choose to work in more than one platform (for example, you could share what you are doing in Unity through OBS Studio). Think about how that platform will help you bring to life the ideas you had for your project.
5. Watch the shared video tutorial. Feel free to also research other how-to videos and websites to supplement your learning.
6. Create your artwork in this new platform.
7. Reflect on your experience with this new platform. Some questions you could explore on your own or with a friend include:
- Were you able to fully create what you imagined beforehand with this platform?
- Did the platform work well with your usual artistic style?
- Did it challenge you to adopt anything new in your artistic style?
- Do you feel like your audience got the message you were trying to share?
- What did you like about working with this platform?
- What did you dislike about it?
- Do you think you will use this platform again in the future?